Can you help with info about the spring of the valve of my Piering trombone

imsevimse

Can you help with info about the spring of the valve of my Piering trombone

Post by imsevimse »

The valve does not work on this trombone. I bought it on ebay several years ago and the previous owner had used rubberbands to make the valve work. As you can see there is one small knob there that might have some function. If anyone have such a trombone and can take a photo of the spring mechanism I would be very greatful. Any pictures could help me.

The trombone is a Robert Piering bass trombone with a large bell, probably made around 1900.

/Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnL

Re: Can you help with info about the spring of the valve of my Piering trombone

Post by JohnL »

I'm thinking it's supposed to have a spring something like what you see in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=17550

I don't see any sort of bumpers; is there anything there to limit the rotation of the core?
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

JohnL wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:22 pm I'm thinking it's supposed to have a spring something like what you see in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=17550

I don't see any sort of bumpers; is there anything there to limit the rotation of the core?
Thanks for helping me!

Yes, I have seen that thread. The stop is in the inside apparently, as the valve stops at the right positions when the valve is turned. I cut out a snippet here from one of the best photos in that thread. What type of spring is used? Most of the spring can not be seen on this snippet because it is hidden by the string, but I think it is the kind if spring I need. More and closer pictures could help, and best is a picture of a spring like that, that has been removed. If it is not possible, then just something that describes how it works and how it is fastened. I need more details since I need to have a tech make me one.

/Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by imsevimse on Sat May 25, 2024 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
blast

Post by blast »

You have a whole cap missing. It contains the stop corks and the spring, which is a coiled flat steel strip. I'm on tour, but I'll try to take a picture when I get home.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

blast wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:01 am You have a whole cap missing. It contains the stop corks and the spring, which is a coiled flat steel strip. I'm on tour, but I'll try to take a picture when I get home.
Thank's Chris for trying to help. I must point that it's the pictures in the first post that is my trombone. The picture in my second post is a Kruspe trombone found in another thread, it's not my trombone. I think the stops on my trombone is inside the valve since the valve stop correctly when turned. On a second thought on this other picture of the Kruspe trombone the stops might be missing, or how does that gonna work? Anyway, help is needed now only based on the pictures in the first post.
I'm looking forward to any pictures. Any pictures of springs of Piering trombones could help.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Sat May 25, 2024 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
blast

Post by blast »

I was talking about the first picture. Perhaps my memory is poor and only the spring is in the outer cap...I'll check.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Hello!

Think I have the answer to my own question.
Lars Gerdt at Lars Gerdt AB looked at it and came up with a solution. He said he did not think there were any parts missing except a working spring so he made one. Here is the result. It works.

/Tom

Return to “Instruments”