Yamaha YSL-882O20TH will be very very rare

ttf_Bach42T

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

I had a chance to speak to the Yamaha rep at the American Trombone Workshop on the new large bore 20th Anniversary Xeno.  This new variation on the vanilla 882 will be shipping next month or May.  While what little available marketing states it will be a limited edition, it does not say how many will be produced.  What I know now from speaking with him is that there are only 20 going to market plus 9 for Yamaha artists.  A grand total of 20 for public access.

I am still trying to deduce whether the valve is the same as on the 882OR, as MAP pricing seems to reflect more with that model.  Standard YSL-882Os do not seem to hold a good value IMHO.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trombones/tenorbasstrombones/ysl-882o20th/?mode=model
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Looks like it's got a bunch of added bling, with a special valve cap like one from the Doug Yeo horn, a gold brass tuning slide, and maybe a wider slide than the standard 882O? Looks like a nice horn, though I'm not going to be beating down doors to be one of the few.
ttf_Bach42T

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: daveyboy37 on Mar 13, 2016, 11:40AMLooks like it's got a bunch of added bling, with a special valve cap like one from the Doug Yeo horn, a gold brass tuning slide, and maybe a wider slide than the standard 882O? Looks like a nice horn, though I'm not going to be beating down doors to be one of the few.

Yep, maybe it's targeted more to the novelty market, people like me who give in to the hype.   Image  I wish more companies made limited edition trombones, I seem to give in easily.   Image

I love the look, bling, even if my sound may not be where I want it to be.  At least I can look the part.   Image

ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

I really, really liked the 830 they had at ATW. If they made a 20th anniversary model of it, it would certainly get my attention.
ttf_ShermanKNTO

Post by ttf_ShermanKNTO »

I read that they are only making 100, not 20 + 9  instruments. Also slightly larger bell than the previous Xenos. (From Japanese Yamaha site). There is a vid of David Finlayson introducing it.
ttf_norbie2009

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

Could you post a link? Thanks!
ttf_slideorama

Post by ttf_slideorama »

Here's Finlayson:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYT5n0crHXM

Sign me up for an 83020TH.
ttf_Bach42T

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: ShermanKNTO on Mar 13, 2016, 05:21PMI read that they are only making 100, not 20 + 9  instruments
please provide the source where you read, thanks.
ttf_ShermanKNTO

Post by ttf_ShermanKNTO »

http://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trombones/tenorbasstrombones/xeno_series/ysl-882o20th/?mode=model

2016年3月 発売
日本国内向けに100本のみ製造の限定モデルとなります。完売の際はご容赦ください。

"March 2016 release
only 100 will be limited model of manufacturing in Japan domestic market.
The occasion of the sold out, please forgive me."
ttf_MaestroHound

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

Maybe 100 for Japanese market, 20 + 9 for the US market, then some more for other markets?? Assuming everyone is telling the truth, that's one way to interpret it.
ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Quote from: slideorama on Mar 13, 2016, 06:02PMHere's Finlayson:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYT5n0crHXM

Sign me up for an 83020TH.

He sounds great on it, but he would, wouldn't he?......
ttf_Bach42T

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: ShermanKNTO on Mar 13, 2016, 10:44PMhttp://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trombones/tenorbasstrombones/xeno_series/ysl-882o20th/?mode=model

2016年3月 発売
日本国内向けに100本のみ製造の限定モデルとなります。完売の際はご容赦ください。

"March 2016 release
only 100 will be limited model of manufacturing in Japan domestic market.
The occasion of the sold out, please forgive me."

Thanks, I guess that makes sense.  Each market outside Japan gets a handful.  This is not as limited a run as the YSL-697Z Black Phoenix where there were only 50 and that was for the U.S. market only.  This makes me thing that Yamaha will introduce a new large bore model next year, which is exactly what they did after the Black Phoenix run.  Only speculative. 

ttf_Trekkie Trombone

Post by ttf_Trekkie Trombone »

For what it's worth, I heard from Yamaha only 3 are going to be shipped for sale in Canada.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

More likely than anything, they will make as many as they damn well want to make.  i.e., the decision might be one of logistics, managing staff time, etc.

On the other hand, I heard that Spain will get two and Portugal only gets a bell section.    Image
ttf_The Bone Ranger

Post by ttf_The Bone Ranger »

I had my hands on one, today, in little old Adelaide, South Australia! My local repair guy/dealer unboxed it in front of me.

I didn't play it, but it looks like a nice bit of kit. I think the counter weight is a little naff compared to the regular looking weight, the faux ivory on the trigger looks exactly like 60's bakelite, and the cream rubber slide bumper is, well, cream. The case colour isn't really my cup of tea, either.

The slide was definitely wider than I expected to see. Closer to Bach width, though I didn't compare it directly.

All of that would be insignificant to me if it plays great though. Perhaps I'll take a mouthpiece with me next week.

Andrew

PS - 20th anniversary of what, exactly?
ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

Quote from: The Bone Ranger on Mar 18, 2016, 02:52AMPS - 20th anniversary of what, exactly?

The Xeno trombone line, I believe.

I rather like the color scheme of the whole package. I hope to check one out in person. Maybe they'll have one at STS?
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Quote from: Quiros on Mar 18, 2016, 06:01AM
I rather like the color scheme of the whole package. I hope to check one out in person. Maybe they'll have one at STS?

Not likely. Shires is pretty much the only horn you can demo at STS. They are a big sponsor and actually donate 2 horns to the workshop for contest winners.
ttf_armjstp

Post by ttf_armjstp »

Quote from: Quiros on Mar 18, 2016, 06:01AMThe Xeno trombone line, I believe.

Yup. Yamaha celebrated the 20th anniversary XENO trumpet back in 2011. Now it's time for trombone Image
ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Mar 18, 2016, 06:30AMNot likely. Shires is pretty much the only horn you can demo at STS. They are a big sponsor and actually donate 2 horns to the workshop for contest winners.

That's one hell of a good motivation to win. Image
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

I had a 697Z black phoenix that I sold here to a bloke in Deutchland

One source said 50 were made. Another said 100

....at that time; about 2 years ago
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I was able to save up enough money to purchase one about a year ago, and it's a fantastic horn. The gold brass tuning slide really helps to smooth out the articulations and the yellow brass bell adds power and core to the sound. The handslide is wider than other Xenos and the end crook is shaped like the Bach 42's. The slide is also heavier than other Xenos, but I find that preferable. Their rotary valve is excellent. The throw is short and the thumb rest is comfortable for long periods of time. I believe it's vented, as is the valve on the 882OR, which eliminates the air pressure difference when engaging the valve. I played this next to a Bach 42BO, a Conn 88HYO, Curtois AC280BO and a Getzen 3047AFR, and none of them had the sound color of the Yamaha nor the ease of playablilty. I love it.
ttf_Don Draper

Post by ttf_Don Draper »

I have one I purchased after trying various iterations of the Shires and Edwards.  The finalists for my search were the Alessi model Edwards and the Yamaha Anniversary model.  In blind tests my friends chose the Yamaha (for my playing style).  The feel is very close, neither one better, just different. 

I must say I also saved $2000 by purchasing the Yamaha.  I had the money for either, so that was not a factor to me.

BTW, Yamaha wins hands down when it comes to cases.....

DD
ttf_Don Draper

Post by ttf_Don Draper »

I have one I purchased after trying various iterations of the Shires and Edwards.  The finalists for my search were the Alessi model Edwards and the Yamaha Anniversary model.  In blind tests my friends chose the Yamaha (for my playing style).  The feel is very close, neither one better, just different. 

I must say I also saved $2000 by purchasing the Yamaha.  I had the money for either, so that was not a factor to me.

BTW, Yamaha wins hands down when it comes to cases.....

DD

Return to “Instruments”