FS: Williams Model 8 - Burbank

ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Earl Williams Model 8

Specs:  .522" bore and a 9" bell.  Just what I was looking for last year and finally got it.  To me, Earl should have considered a greater angle on the gooseneck to bring the slide away from the bell edge.  Just my opinion on ergonomics, though.  It's a hell of a player.

This horn is a great player and in fantastic shape, as the pictures will show.  But first, a bit of history.  This instrument is allegedly one of a set of triplets commissioned by Allen Ostrander for California State University in Sacramento.  Comes with traditional spit valve installed but also the Earl curvy one, unmounted.

Included is the original wood case stenciled with CSU, and also the original pegboard slide box Earl used to ship it, with the original labels.  Very cool and undeniable provenance/pedigree.

I really like the way it plays.  Totally unique. 

Original lacquer in great condition with a some light surface scratches.  No dings and dents.  Slide tubes have no wear.

Pics:

Interesting double-stamped S. on the Cal-State custom stamp:

This isn't a little grub.  It's Earl's spit valve, which was never mounted.  I suppose Allen Ostrander ordered the horn with standard spit valve and Earl included it unmounted.

If you want a little piece of history, send me an email.  My email is the first letters of this little poem:

Said you wanted a horn,
Like the one you played when young,
I told you to MAKE AN OFFER,
Perchance you shed a private tear.
Have a tissue, fellow bonester,
Or a box of junior mints.
Remember, the PM system causes much grief.
Never trust in it!
@gmail.com

Remember, my preferences:

* I will pay CONUS shipping unless you need expedited service, etc.
* I strongly prefer to ship CONUS, but will consider shipping overseas
* I consider trades of professional-level instruments but prefer PayPal
* Buyer pays PayPal fees, if any

Thanks!

ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Another fantastic horn looking for a home.  More interested in cash than trades, though trades are still a possibility.  Thanks for looking!
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Still available.  Also looking for an excellent compact CC tuba (piggy, Yamaha YCB-621,  etc.)
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

CC acquired.  Horn still available. 
ttf_John McKevitt

Post by ttf_John McKevitt »

Hi Slip,I just acquired a A Williams 8 from Noah at the Brass Ark. It is only 7 digits away from your s/n . It has a 9 " Bell as yours does,but none of the stamping of UCLA or school number on the main bell brace flange. AREthe 3 Williams 8 from the University all accounted for. I was surprised when I measured it. I thought it was an 8.5 since you stated Allen Ostrander had the 3 with 9" bells specially ordered. JUST Curious if you knew what is the standard bell size for the Williams 8. FWIW THE 8 seems to be a 520 bore.Best Wishes ,John McKevittQuote from: Sliphorn link=topic=98666.msg1190815#msg1190815
date=1492997398CC acquired.  Horn still available. 

ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: John McKevitt on May 27, 2017, 08:25PMHi Slip,I just acquired a A Williams 8 from Noah at the Brass Ark. It is only 7 digits away from your s/n . It has a 9 " Bell as yours does,but none of the stamping of UCLA or school number on the main bell brace flange. AREthe 3 Williams 8 from the University all accounted for. I was surprised when I measured it. I thought it was an 8.5 since you stated Allen Ostrander had the 3 with 9" bells specially ordered. JUST Curious if you knew what is the standard bell size for the Williams 8. FWIW THE 8 seems to be a 520 bore.Best Wishes ,John McKevitt
Hey John,

Not sure if all of the CSU ones are accounted for.  Perhaps John Noxon, resident Williams scholar will chime in.  I do believe the standard is 9".  And yes, I saw the Williams thread stating these are more likely .520" bore.  I heard they were .522" but I never measured.

Return to “Classified Advertisements”