Effects on playing

How and what to teach and learn.
Kneesks

Effects on playing

Post by Kneesks »

This question is mostly for people who double wind instruments besides low brass, but how does playing these instruments effect your trombone playing?
And to get more specific, for anyone who majored Music-Ed and took method classes and had juries, do you remember how that effected your trombone playing?
tmarco97

Re: Effects on playing

Post by tmarco97 »

Band Director here. After a full day of playing different brass instruments to demonstrate to the students, I find that as long as I focus on “correct” concepts, it doesn’t affect my bass trombone playing all that much. I do try to maintain a daily regimen of fundamentals on my bass trombone after my day is over. As long as I focus on making a quality sound without “forcing” anything out on the other instruments, I find that it’s worked for me so far. I was initially a little hesitant to play high brass instruments, but such is the job and I found out that it’s worked for the better.
bassbone

Re: Effects on playing

Post by bassbone »

I was a music ed major and did the whole methods class thing.

I do not remember anything other than oboe that caused a problem for me. For most other instruments the approach @tmarco97 mentioned worked well for me. For Oboe, I ended up having to approach it basically as "whatever your instinct to do b/c you're a trombone player, do the opposite" (i.e. breathe out before playing).

I found teaching low brass lessons actually had more negative impact on my trombone playing and had to focus a lot on releasing tension when I started my own practicing for the day.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”