Might As Well Face it - I'm Addicted To Horns

Spin your yarns here.
officermayo

Might As Well Face it - I'm Addicted To Horns

Post by officermayo »

Straightening up the studio today and gathered the herd for a photo. Didn't realize I have 16 horns! Is there a help group for this condition? πŸ€”
"When in doubt, blow out" - MSgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
harrisonreed

Re: Might As Well Face it - I'm Addicted To Horns

Post by harrisonreed »

The cure is the hard, cold stare of the younger, poorer working musician getting by with only two horns, an Otamatone, and a kazoo, playing the sick beats beneath the Chuck E Cheez animatrons and drinking Bailey's from a shoe, only eating the discarded crusts that fall through the floor slots after snotty noses brats throw them at the characters.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

harrisonreed wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:26 pm The cure is the hard, cold stare of the younger, poorer working musician getting by with only two horns......
Nah, won't work.
At my age I have no concern for what others may think of me. Besides, it took around 50 years to amass my collection. All bought on the cheap with wheeling and dealing galore.

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

amadeus-there.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

officermayo wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:18 pm Straightening up the studio today and gathered the herd for a photo. Didn't realize I have 16 horns! Is there a help group for this condition? πŸ€”
Oh Crap.
16 is the measure? I've got 17.
I keep trying to sell some off, but I just like them too much. Plus, what if I want to compare it against something again. Or what if I get a chance to play 3rd bone in a good big band again? Or what if.... Oh, Crap.

Anybody wanna buy a coupla horns? I could sell off a couple nice Yammies and that would get me down to 15. Wait, hold it. 4 of those 17 have 3 or more valves. Do I get a discount for that?
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

We should for a club.
How do you feel about sandwiches with three pieces of bread and cut into quarters? Where do you stand on frilly toothpicks?

stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

officermayo wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:18 pm Is there a help group for this condition? πŸ€”
Yes, there is a long established help group, it's called "The Viola Section" and can be found in any local symphony orchestra. They have lots of suggestions as to what to do with just one trombone never mind multiple examples. :twisted:

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

officermayo wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:18 pm Is there a help group for this condition?
The help group is at the local music store: the sign recommending a $200 chem clean yearly for each horn.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I.A.S Instrument Acquisition Syndrome is a real problem that many of us have.
I`m clocking in at 11 trombones, 3 Tubas, Euphonium, Baritone, Tenor Horn, Alto Flugel-Horn, Flute, Piccolo and Alto Flute.
And don`t get me started on the Rabbit hole that is the Mouthpiece Search
Oh well.........
cb56

Post by cb56 »

I only have one trombone, but about a dozen stringed instruments.
I'm here to heal your pain...
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Mere beginners... when you dont actually know how many you have you know youve got a problem - one day I will have a stock take and let my wife know!... Doug
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

stewbones43 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:14 am
officermayo wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:18 pm Is there a help group for this condition? πŸ€”
Yes, there is a long established help group, it's called "The Viola Section" and can be found in any local symphony orchestra. They have lots of suggestions as to what to do with just one trombone never mind multiple examples. :twisted:

Cheers

Stewbones43
As someone who also plays viola and currently has a paltry four horns, i say be careful. Some of us may enable further buying of horns.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Iβ€˜m relieved to read this. At last count I only had a mere 15 horns so have nothing to worry about.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Okay, I think I'm fine with 12 trombones... For now... Already searching and planning...

Return to β€œTangents”