Corners again and the leak

How and what to teach and learn.
timothy42b

Corners again and the leak

Post by timothy42b »

I've re-read the entire "firm corners" thread and it triggered a thought.

Sometimes I get a quick squirt of air out of the corner when doing a register change, especially an octave lip slur. It's a short leak and not loud, but if I'm paying attention I can hear it. I've heard it in other players, some of them advanced.

Firmer corners seems to prevent that. But is that the test? Corners (under the lip) should be firm enough to stop that leak? Or is that leak unrelated - more a function of correct pressure, angle, tongue, whatever?

Or is it even not a fault at all?
sterb225

Re: Corners again and the leak

Post by sterb225 »

Since softening from a more muscular approach I notice leaks from time to time when heading into the stratosphere ... interested to see what others have to say.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Tim, you may be letting the mouthpiece pressure off as you make the slur, and that's what's causing the leak.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 am Tim, you may be letting the mouthpiece pressure off as you make the slur, and that's what's causing the leak.
I will pay close attention to this and see.
Steve335

Post by Steve335 »

I have a similar issue. When I play quiet or in certain registers I get an airy sound. I am an experienced player but I know this is something I could tidy up. I’ve tried long quiet notes, and I’m experimenting with what Doug said about the mouthpiece pressure. I do find some mouthpieces clear up my sound more than others. I suppose with some I am getting a better seal.
It’s defin something I’d like to “fix”.
BeardedPicc

Post by BeardedPicc »

Is it normal for the corners to become more relaxed when lose firmness when descending, especially into the lower middle to low register?
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

BeardedPicc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:04 pm Is it normal for the corners to become more relaxed when lose firmness when descending, especially into the lower middle to low register?
More relaxed - yes. Collapse completely - no. The latter is a common thing a lot of players who struggle with the lower register may do to compensate. It took me a long time to figure out how to descend correctly without collapsing. Once I did I can’t believe how much my playing in all registers improved.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Do lip slurs from the bottom of the horn to the top of the horn in all 7 positions. Slowly, quietly, and with a tuner. Then buzz the same in the mouthpiece. Let us know of your progress!
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque

Return to “Teaching & Learning”